Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dear Jumnik, with love.

Where do I begin? *chokes*

The past 3 months wasn't easy. 
The sacrificed weekends, 
the cake cutting mornings, 
the 55 boxes, 
the re-planning activities.
 But the moment I stepped off that bus, 
into the arms of the Jumnik villagers,


They told us they were counting days till we arrived.
What did I give to them, till I deserved to receive so much? 
The way they treated us like kings, served us with the best food, how our house was the only one with electricity, while they lived in pitch darkness. 
The night sky, sprayed with stars.
How all the kids and boys would sit and talk to us at night.
The way the boys in my class welcomed the little knowledge I gave them. 
The way the grandmothers hugged me when we gave them donations. 
The smiles, the tears, the sweat, the laughs.
The way everyone called us 'Sister' and 'Brother'. 





God willing, we'll come back. 
Their voices singing, and their laughter in my ears,
the cute babies, smiling adults.
How their lives are so full and happy, when they have so little.
Really, with the contentment they have, 
we're not the lucky ones, 
they are.

Thank you, Jumnik.



To the team,
We had our fights, our breakdowns, our skirmishes,
but we came out of it, together.
We lived this moment, as a team.
We gave them the best of us,
but they gave us even more, no?
To Miss Loh (mummy) and Pak Lan (bapak) 
your kids LOVE you very very much.
Was it just 5 days there?
Our lives have changed.



I'VE NEVER FELT BETTER IN MY LIFE.

Now that its all over, 
their faces replay in my mind,
the laughter, the tears,
how do I even put it into words?

"Brother what is that?" he said as he points to the moon.
"Its the moon" replied one of us.
"I will look to the sky every time I miss you, brother." 



3 comments:

REZA ABEDI said...

Awwwwwh, congrats Nikko :)

aSf said...

awwww :') love the last paragraph :)

Raha Imani A. said...

thanks reza and seed. dh kehabisan air mata in cambodia. was truly the best thing in my life.

Post a Comment

SPEAK UP.