Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Maaf, jawapan tiada dalam skema.

Read this letter written to the editor in the STAR recently about this girl in Form 5 who wrote an answer that used her logic in her Moral paper (What qualities does Mother Teresa possess? = Caring) and got it marked as "Incorrect" because it wasn't in the answer scheme.

Honestly, it doesn't take a genius to know that Mother Teresa is caring. The limitations of an answer scheme doesn't make this wrong.

But, according to the Malaysian education system, the answer scheme is always right. 

Thus, as far as Moral Education goes, Mother Teresa isn't caring.

Oh ha, what does this say about the Malaysian education system?

What does this say about MALAYSIANS?

I remember the "Zaman Kegemilangan" post SPM results when I was reassured that I was "smart" and that my future was going to be "OK".

Then IB happened and the truth of my SPM education was revealed.


a) I've just been memorising answers and workings all this while, cause thats a fail safe way to a sure A right?

b) Imbibe the answer scheme and you shall triumph.

c) Thinking is limited to certain subjects only.

d) You cannot challenge the knowledge. The textbook is always right. So be it if it was last revised 5/8/10 years ago. It is the truth. Period. And what's with the undecided language for Maths & Science? Still questioning to academic reasoning versus the political rationale for this. I know I'm going to get haters for this statement but I don't see what's wrong in the English system. Come to Pre-U and tertiary level, English is still the medium of instruction, no? 

e) SPM results means NOTHING once you're in IB. Not an assurance of continual success. Trust me, I should know a lot about this one.

No offence to the awesome high-flyers in the recent SPM, you guys did great, but before you rest on your laurels when entering pre-u, reevaluate the system you guys have just left. Note that it is an exam-oriented (memorize and regurgitate) system that puts most emphasis on studies. 

I don't remember studying without a major exam to pass as the ultimate goal back in high school.

I didn't even have Sports Day in Forms 4 and 5. Most of my Form 5 year was spent cooped up in my room surrounded by books and past years.

It's really not surprising why breaking out of that mindset and dealing with IB takes ages. We've been trained like this for 11 years, much change 2 semesters's gonna make. 

So I know stellar SPM results are to die for, but high school and scholarship apps is where it ends. 

In the harsh reality of pre-u (ok fine, maybe just IB) it really doesn't measure up to much. 

The thing that I never understood till IB:
Education is about learning, for knowledge's and God's sake. 


2 comments:

Amal Yusof said...

xde "like" button ke?? nak tekan banyak2x kali!!:)

Raha Imani A. said...

sorry la amal, i don't know how to put the like button in :D anyways, gdluck fr AS! Insyallah, you'll do swell :)

Post a Comment

SPEAK UP.