Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

wife for life.

This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children. Martin Luther King.

To my forever friend Woon Ee Laine: I guess we've been friends way too long and the fact just slides until someone suggested that you and me are too different.

My first reaction is : Nandayo?!

Ok,  tad bit wonky here.

No, I don't find it awkward that she and I are tight. Yes, I know she's Chinese. So what if we aren't in the same religion. What happened to 1Malaysia and unity?
None of it really matters folks.
When did we decide that its only okay to mix around with people who share the same racial title or religious label as us?
Isn't it mind stifling to limit yourself to one specified type of people? Does differences form unbridgeable rifts that would damage you?
I'm sure I speak for Ee Laine and myself when we say : Heck no.

I've never minded our differences. Its come up but it was never a bone of contention between us. I've got too many poignant memories with this lady. Of running into her arms and getting photographed hugging when she was top for UPSR in Malaysia. Crying over boys and grades. Long long long phone conversations in which we strategise our domination or just plain moaning :P Playing office girls when we were 8. Getting worked up about BSLs, getting number one and sitting next to each other in class. We had our fights but its like the bonding glue between friends.



You'll always be Lainey Bin and I'll always be your Pignik. And no matter how we grow up, its never stopped us from finding refuge in each others company when the world and people are just moving at too fast a pace. I truly appreciate the years, the innumerable phone calls, the therapy/psychoanalyzing sessions, the kiasuing. Boyfriends and exams may come and go, but lets always stay.

Wife for life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPEAK UP.