Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

So Sue Me.

So I went to court. Nope, I did not run someone over with my car but I played the role of "Supporting Act" to my big sister as she was supposed to testify as a witness to a maid abuse case.

So heres a note to all Dr Wannabes, doctors get subpoenaed too!

This is actually my second time going to court after accompanying G to her first testifying stint at Shah Alam High Court to testify as the doctor in charge for a murder case in which she allegedly drew blood from the witness.

2nd note to Dr Wannabes, proper documentation at all times, because after attending to 100 patients a day, you're not going to remember them, murder suspect or not.

We arrived bright and early, punctual as ever and entered Makhamah Majistret Ampang. We were shocked cuz it was already filled with people with very anxious faces. Everyone stared at us, the two nitwits, merrily walking into the courtroom, with the nerve to even be lugging thick novels. Well, what can I say, berani kerana benar takut kerana salah? And we weren't guilty at all!

So the scene was dominated by police officers, walking in and out, with thick files, a few suspects awaiting trial who came in handcuffed to officers, grim looking family members, teary eyed moms, UBER PURPOSEFUL lwayers oozing confidence with this "You dare contradict me?" air to them. In short, we stuck out like sore thumbs.

Court began and Your Honour stepped in. Must admit after watching Law & Order, Laws of Attraction and every other court room scene on TV, I was so excited! But like they always tell you, don't believe everything you see on the telly.

Bummer Moment # 1 : Malaysian court is in Malay. And this goes against my cerebral language.

The first witness who was a Forensics Doctor was called up. She was sworn in, (Ooooh, they actually do hold their right hands up and you know the part where in the movies they say "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" in Malay its "Saya bersumpah untuk berkata yang benar-benar belaka", LMAO) and the State Prosecutor got the ball rolling.

Bummer Moment # 2 : In court, the judge writes EVERY LAST WORD you say, so you have to speak as though your conversing to a hearing impaired person, word for word. With adequate pauses so she can jot it down. And the judge even asked the doctor how to spell some medical terms. As Osman put it, very stone age.

Once the basic questions were asked they moved on to the findings of the medical examination conducted.

Bummer Moment # 3 : Every single bruise, cut, abrasion, etc on the witness has to be verified, the state, the number, what could have caused it. Oh lord, this maid had like fifty of them. Was empathetic for the first 20 of her wounds, but soon, I'm so sorry, I zoned out.

After about 30 minutes of the laggy conversation, I turned to Sherlock Holmes for comfort, and lost myself in the pages of a good mystery.

An hour later the fact that it was 10.17 am, and I was dragged out of my slumber at 8am, when my usual rise and shine time is 11am, finally caught up with me.

Slept like I used to in MRSM, chin up, mouth open, head lolling, totally oblivious of everyone else's keyed up nerves. I was just a spectator anyways.

Bummer Momemnt # 4: Woke up at 12pm, and the same Dr was still being questioned. She wasn't even cross examined yet. Oh my holy moly.

At this point my tummy needed sustenance so we upped and left when court adjourned for a 15 minute break. We decided to just abscond, skip the cross examination and return after lunch. So we went to run some errands, and after a fortifying German deli lunch, we were back at court at 2.15pm.

And guess what, the same witness was on the stand. And according to the bailiff there, the court did NOT adjourn for lunch! Meaning, this poor lady was talking for 5 hours before they let her go!

And when it was supposed to be G's turn, they turn around as say, your case has been postponed to the 17th of June. So she got a whole day off work, a whole day in which she could've seen 30 patients! For absolutely nothing. And she would have to miss another day of it in June.

Bummer Moment # 5 : I woke up at 8am for nothing. Give me back my beauty sleep.

Malaysian justice system seems a bit wonky to me. And I'm glad for the pat on my back daddy gave me for not sealing my fate as a lawyer. I'd do it no different. It was truly god sent. No regrets, I do not want to be a lawyer. Though they look superhuman in their suits and ties, I'd rather be a sweat-faced tired out doctor. For now at least. Tee hee.





3 comments:

@fitridzulkifli said...

wei, sgt benar. sejak wafatnya Nabi Muhammad SAW, tiada lg pentadbiran dan penghakiman sempurna.

Unknown said...

omg.
that was a hell of a day!!!

Raha Imani A. said...

yup, sistem penghakiman mcm buat lawak je.

it was, imagine when they said, ITS POSTPONED divv, u feel like never being a lwayer again.

Post a Comment

SPEAK UP.